Sunday, November 20, 2011

Things about me that shock and/or confuse Ecuadorians:



1.      1. My height.
2.      2. My shoe size.  I have some size 17 shoes that say they are 49, and others that say 51.5. I have settled on 50 as the size I tell people.
3.      3. I can cook.
4.      4. I’m single.
5.      5. I’m OK living in my own apartment.
6.      6. That my family allowed me to come here.
7.      7. That I am neither a student nor a missionary.
8.      8. I wash my own clothing.
9.      9. How much money I make.  Whenever someone asks me that I ask them how much they thing I make. Most often they say $1,000 per month. They rarely believe me at first when I tell them that it’s $360, and that I pay $80 of that in rent. The Ecuadorian minimum wage is $240, and most people making that live in a house that their family has owned for some time. Then again, most also have kids.
10  10. I don’t own a TV
11 11. I eat meat. Though that's more because the two volunteers that were here before me were vegetarians.

No comments:

Post a Comment